Location for the BLC 10 - Building Learning Communities Conference in Boston
- Learning through creative gaming - Dr. Bronwyn Stuckey
- Safe environment
- Need to participate in training to bring students into it.
There is not any teacher in the system that is not part of a school system and they are background checked. Every account links with a real person. There is filter for language.
There are chat monitors - frame positive rules, norms from Indiana University
- Same rules that are at play on the regular internet.
- Students are not allowed to share their own email, phone, bullying,etc.
- There are monitors who look and then email the teachers about any questionable chat. Teachers then use the experience to teach internet norms with students.
- They also send the exemplary behaviors in online communication to teachers
- all the content areas are represented
- increases literacy
- teachers contribute to content
- no killing
- leveling up is the curriculum
- cyber safety
- tranformative play